If you are a fan of the classic mall soft pretzels like Auntie Anne’s, then this recipe is a must try! Golden brown and chewy, these pretzels are a surprisingly simple fix. Found on http://www.food.com, this pretzel recipe has been slightly altered due to various attempts to achieve the ‘perfect’ soft pretzel taste.
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 pkg.)
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups water
2 tablespoons baking soda
2 -4 tablespoons butter (melted)
1. Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in mixing bowl; stir to dissolve.
2. Add sugar, salt and stir to dissolve; add flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic.
3. Let rise at least 1/2 hour.
4. While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups warm water and 2 tbsp baking soda.
5. Be certain to stir often.
6. After dough has risen, pinch off bits of dough and roll into a long rope (about 1/2 inch or less thick) and shape.
7. Allow each pretzel to soak in the soda solution for at least a minute before placing on greased baking sheet. (This helps give the pretzel its soft texture)
8. Allow pretzels to rise again then sprinkle with salt.
9. Bake in oven at 425 for about 7 minutes or until golden.
10. Brush with melted butter.
11. Toppings: After you brush with butter try sprinkling with coarse salt.